Les Ateliers de l’éthique/The Ethics Forum invites manuscript submissions for a special issue on the topic of Equality, health and health policy, which I am guest-editing.
A growing philosophical literature has begun to address questions about justice, equality and fairness in the context of health care and population health. Philosophers have also begun to engage with the empirical evidence around health inequality, particularly in relation to the social determinants of health. At the same time, concerns about equality are also being expressed in debates about health policy. Many countries now include the reduction of health inequalities among their policy objectives, and policy documents by both governmental and non-governmental bodies are frequently couched in normative language and make explicit reference to concerns about justice and/or equality.
This special issue seeks to advance the debate by considering submissions on any of the above or related issues. Possible topics and questions to be addressed include:
- Philosophical issues around the conceptualisation and/or measurement of health and health inequality;
- Philosophical issues around the social determinants of health.
- Egalitarian concerns about particular health policies;
- Egalitarian concerns around global health and global health inequalities;
- How might different conceptions of equality (e.g. distributive, relational, etc.) differ in their recommendations for health policy?
- Is there a morally relevant distinction between health inequalities with natural causes and those with social causes?
- What role, if any, should health care systems play in reducing social inequalities in health?
- How should the pursuit of equality in health be weighed against competing goals in other policy areas, such as education?
Authors are welcome to propose other topics related to the theme of this special issue. We welcome papers that focus on theoretical and conceptual issues related to this theme as well as papers that focus on particular policies and practical questions.
The deadline for submissions is 31 August, 2017. More details on how to submit can be found here.